Let The Passion Projects Begin! – Passion Project Week 2

Hi Everyone!,

Sorry for not posting in a while! 🙁

Today is Sunday- as you all probably know. And I guess lots of things happen on a Sunday. However, every sunday, I go to Church. Do you remember what my passion project was? If you don’t go to my post ‘Passion Project – Week 1) or, read this:

I decided that I was going to cook some things for my Uniting Church, and hand them out to the congregation every week. Along with that, I shall ask for an optional and voluntary donation for a charity called ‘UnitingWorld’ or another charity. I have not quite decided yet. A member in my church is the national director to this cause. Every so often, I will also make some announcements saying stuff like how much money I have raised so far. Also, in the service of our church service there is a little piece paper of that has this weeks announcements written on it and, every week, I will put a little announcement in it. I will be asking for a voluntary donation however this does not NEED to be paid to eat what I have made.

(From my blog post)

So, basically that’s what I’m doing for my passion project. And, if you were wondering, I DID start today. Hence the title of this post. Today, I shall share the stuff I did today. Here it is:

The first thing I made were some ‘Basic Biscuits’ out of a cookbook called ‘4 ingredients 2’. Here is the recipe!

BASIC BISCUITS

Makes about 72.

• 500g butter
  • 5 cups self raising flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 380g tin condensed milk

Cream sugar and butter until white and fluffy.

Sift flour and pour in condensed milk. Mix to combine.

Roll into teaspoon sized balls and place on paper lined baking tray. Flatten slightly with a fork.

Bake in 180c oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.

Optional: Anything can be added to mix.

e.g Choc Chips, cornflakes, smarties and sultanas

That’s the actual recipe, however, my version was not quite the same. Here is why:

1. We did not have enough REAL butter at home so I ended up mainly using something called a ‘Butter Blend’.
  2. I did not know what ‘Creaming’ egg and butter. I really regret not searching it BEFORE I did it rather than after. I ended up melting the butter first! So, of course it did not work out. And, we had no other butter so I couldn’t fix it or do it again either.
  3. I did not sift the flour. I just poured it straight in. AND I only used 4 cups.
  4. The mixture was super sticky – I really struggled to so the correct sized balls.
  5. I did not cook them for the right time. I was too impatient and I kept opening the oven.
  6. I did not add anything to the batter. Though, I guess that was optional. But still.

Here are some images of my cooking:

The Ingredients. NOTE – Butter is half melted.

My failed attempt of creaming. I used a whisk and an electric blender – it still failed.

IMG_0532 IMG_0533

The super sticky mixture. EW!

IMG_0534 IMG_0535

My attempt of rolling the batter.

Into the oven! FINALLY!

IMG_0537 IMG_0599

Tiding up. yay.

The (OK) final product. At least they tasted OK. NOTE – Quite a few are missing. Never to be seen again. What happened? My brother and dad entered the kitchen.

So, that was the cooking part. I did not in fact to that today. I did it yesterday at home.

Anyway, onto the stuff I did today. So first I cooked some brownies with all the other kids in ‘Kids Church’. My dad was leading it. Sorry, I do not have a recipe. However, I can tell you that it was a rather easy recipe and it all went really well.

Next, I had to give an announcement in church to tell the whole congregation what I was doing. I have I video but, sadly it won’t upload. Sorry!

I also had to set up a little table to put the stuff I had made on. I needed a poster to explain what I was selling and a collection jar to (for the voluntary donation). Here is what they both looked like:

IMG_0607 2 IMG_0730

Finally, it was time for the congregation to have morning tea. Here are some photos of me, the congregation and the food:

IMG_0731 IMG_0600 IMG_0603 IMG_0605 IMG_0602 IMG_0601

You might be wondering, how much money did she raise? Well I can give you an answer! And you will probably be very surprised! I was too!

So, the total money I raised this week was…

$211.15!

How much is that! I was so happy!

IMG_0606 IMG_0607

The congregation was soooo generous. Thanks Everybody!

So, that was my passion project this week.

Also, in this blog post, I have been asked to do write about some other stuff too. Here it is:

I know I will have learned my task when…

• I have reached the goal of how much money I want to raise. At first it was $100 however, I have passed that already and I still have 5 weeks to go! My goal now is to raise $500.
  • Are able to cook rather confidently
  • Have made some of my favourite treats ever!

For this project I will learn to…

• Cook/Bake
  • Public Speak
  • Fundraise

I am so looking forward to cooking next week! Hope you enjoy this recipe!

Stay tuned…

-Sophie

12 thoughts on “Let The Passion Projects Begin! – Passion Project Week 2

1. It was so generous of you to bake for the public. I think you are a kind girl even if I don’t know you

2. Hi Sophie,
    It is amazing that you raised $211.15. I am very happy for you. The biscuits and brownies look so yummy. I wish I had been there. It is so kind that you are baking for your church and raising money for charity. Your congregation are so lucky to have someone like you. They are also very generous.
    Rachel.

• I know!
      I was soooo amazed with how much money I had raised.
      I totally agree that my Church congregation was very generous!
      I hope the brownies and cookies were yummy, at least my brother said they were!
      -Sophie

3. Hi Soph,
    Great pics! I think that it is so generous of you to be donating the money to such a good cause, and you seem to be doing a great job! It’s so good to see that in just the first week of creating baked goodies, you have already raised $211.15! Congratulations Sophie. Keep up the great work!
    Darcey
    darceyw21.edublogs.org

4. Wow Sophie,
    I enjoyed reading your post! I hope you were very excited and happy at how much money you got from baking. I would be very happy if i raised $211.15! I hope you are enjoying what you are doing and doing something that you are very passionate about. I think that it is very good of you to raise money for your church by baking. Your church should be very happy that they have someone like you in that community. I hope you have a fun time with your project!
    Happy Blogging!
    Mia

• Thanks Mia!
      I have had a great time so far in my passion Project.
      However, I think that things are only going to get harder…
      -Soph

5. Hi Sophie,
    I think what you are doing is very generous and I think it is lovely that you are selling the cookies at your church. I think raising money for people in need is amazingly kind a generous and the world needs people like you to raise awareness. I hope you have fun with your fundraiser and baking.
    -Anjali

6. Hi Soph!
    I am so impressed with your blog and all the beautiful pictures. It is so fun to read it. I laughed so hard when your dad and Angus ate the biscuits coz that’s what happens in my house too.
    I am so happy for you for raising so much money already. It is so great that your passion project is already successful. I think you are going to have a tough time raising more money next week but that’s not really a competition.
    I have some easy biscuit recipes if you want to borrow them. My favorite are oatmeal and raisin cookies but the problem is they are so good that Angus and your Dad might eat the lot!
    -Sarah G.

• Hi Sarah,
      Thanks so much for the comment!
      Those recipes sound great!
      I agree that raising money this week is probably going to be harder than last week.
      However, I can tell you that the thing I have made this week is SUPER YUMMY!
      -Sophie